Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
SH, how do you like the 300 grain Barnes?

I've often thought the 250 would be something to try in the .45-70, but I've kinda gotten away from the light/fast thing in that rifle.

I have some 250 and 300 grain Barnes X bullets as well as some discontinued 300 Nosler Partitions. Never see Speer bullets on the shelf anymore. The Barnes X bullets penetrate pretty well and expand to low velocity. At high speed they shed petals but still keep a high percentage of weight. The really long length cut into the powder capacity and velocities are a bit disappointing.

The 300 Noslers out penetrate the X bullets as they expand to only about .65 caliber or less and they often go 20+ inches into the media. I think I would have settled on them but they are now sadly discontinued. I'd expect the 300 unicore to hang together well but expand very wide limiting penetration to some extent but I have never tested them.

A problem with the 450/45-70 is that different bullet weights strike widely different points of impact and settling on 1 bullet weight is a smart thing. For me the 400-405 grain bullets are getting the nod. I am a cheap fellow so next time I can find bulk Remingtons I'll buy five hundred or so and load them up as a practice through Moose bullet. For Bison I'll go double canellure Barne Original or better yet the Woodleigh.Cheaper than the Barnes and bonded reliability.