From: http://equusmagazine.com/article/saddles-hard-fit-horse-12920

Challenge 2: The high-withered horse

Many Thoroughbreds and their crosses, Appendix Quarter Horses and other athletic riding types sport high, sharp---“shark”---withers that make saddle fitting tough. Take one look at those withers and you might think narrow saddle. But that’s an all-too-common mistake. Many of these horses have withers that taper into a broad, athletic back with a well-sprung rib cage. A narrow saddle on this kind of horse will probably cause pain.

For these horses, you’re probably going to be looking for a V-shaped tree, especially if your horse is angular, but don’t rule out the hoop-shaped tree if he’s broad in his back. Opinions vary in the saddle-fitting community over whether it’s advisable to buy an extra-wide saddle and add padding at the withers to make it fit. “The idea
that it’s OK to fit a saddle too wide and then pad it up is erroneous. It’s just as uncomfortable on the horse as a saddle that’s too narrow,” warns Anderson.

On the other hand, says Temple, “Many in the natural horsemanship community, as well as other fitters and veterinarians, feel that fitting a horse with a too-wide saddle and using shims to lift the front is actually advantageous. The use of front shims to lift the saddle balances the rider, while the extra width in the tree gives the horse great comfort and freedom of movement.”

If your horse is more angular, consider other options. “A more angular horse with hollows behind the shoulder does better in a tree with a longer point,” says Anderson. “Shoulder gussets and a dropped panel are a must to fill in the area behind the shoulder and lift the saddle enough in front to clear those withers.”

Here are a few suggestions for high-withered horses:

• Black Country Saddles specializes in custom-built saddles for a number of English disciplines, including dressage, endurance, jumping, polo and hunters as well as Icelandic and general purpose. High-withered horses will benefit from models with thicker gussets and trapezius or K panels, which fill in hollow areas behind the shoulders. These saddles are made in Walsall, England. Prices start around $2,300. Go to www.blackcountrysaddles.com.

• Collegiate Saddles offers hand-crafted leather saddles for a variety of English disciplines---including dressage, eventing and jumping---all with the Easy-Change Gullet System, which allows you to select a gullet bar that best fits your horse. The bar can be changed, as necessary, if your horse changes in size. Prices range from $670 to $1,500. Go to www.collegiate-saddles.com.

Barrel racing or gaited saddles, available from many makers, tend to offer ample clearance at the withers. “The key to high withers is finding a saddle with sufficient clearance,” says Anderson. “The two- to three-finger rule isn’t an accurate measure.” Instead, Anderson suggests riding in the saddle for about 20 minutes. Then check that the saddle is not resting on top of the withers, both at the gullet area and toward the stirrup attachment or bar. Some horses have shark withers that drop off sharply. Others have withers that taper off like a mountain range. No matter which type your horse has, be sure there’s no pressure there either before or after you ride.

A couple of thoughts.

On the too-wide saddle and using shims. I'm not a big fan of trying to pad up saddles, but depending on the build of the horse, the following pad might be worth trying if you already have a saddle that is close in fit but could be shimmed around a shark finned wither:

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/diamond-wool-contour-relief-pad/E006939/

I often see saddles made for gaited horses that might work. A lot of variation in gaited horses, but a lot of saddles made specifically for them have higher withers. A lot of them appear to be really nice trail saddles. Might be worth a look...

Australian stock saddles my be worth looking at as well. I recently sold a quarter horse mare I had for almost a year that had high withers. Came with an aust saddle and it fit her well. Can't say much about how austr saddles fit in general as it's the only one I've used. It did have the "padding" which I think can be reshaped...her's was well fitted to her.

Having a custom saddle made with a wither tracing for the tree to be built according to is the ultimate. Time and $ may be a killer on this if it's going to be a rare thing for that saddle to fit another horse....