Originally Posted by BigNate
" ... Leanwolf - I have not found anyone that's able to respond soon enough when it's warm out for us bowhunters. The ones I've talked with usually want to come out a day or two later. Even if they were available right when we called, to trailer stock into where we hunt is close to a two hour drive. Not counting loading, unloading, outfitting the mules, the walk in and out, plus who knows what I'm concerned about spoilage and Grizzlies. I don't know what one would charge, but I'd suspect a couple or three elk and the cost of the equipment would be a wash.? I have not personally had a bear problem but talked to a neighbor who's friend walked in to carry a second load out and found one sitting on it. ... "

Big Nate, I didn't know you were hunting early stick-'n-string season. I know that the heat can be much higher early on so understand about it taking too long for a packer to get in and bring out your elk meat before it soured.

I thought perhaps you might know a packer nearby your hunting area who could reach your kill on short notice.

I know what you mean about Grizzly bears. I've hunted in Idaho twice in Griz areas and once in Wyoming in a Griz area. I highly respect them. wink

Good luck on your hunt.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)