I've had 3 different 329s. Still have 2. For almost a decade, the 329 was my all day every day carry gun. For my purposes, it has the ideal power to weight ratio. The 500 S&W Hogues are a very useful additon.

For 18 months or so early on, I shot them extensively (8,000 rounds of 240 to 325gr at 1,050 to 1,300 fps -- actual chronograph numbers). I stopped shooting them because the recoil was starting to bother my wrist, and I got tired of sending them back for repairs. One gun lasted over 2,000 rnds before requiring a trip back to S&W, another one lasted only 400 rnds. Here is a list of the problems I encountered over that time frame.

=> S&W 329 – self destructed (barrel separated from frame) upon firing.
=> S&W 329 – hand spring jumped pin, rendering hand inoperable.
=> S&W 329 – internal lock engaged under recoil (2x)
=> S&W 329 – misfiring (light hits). Returned to S&W to replace firing pin.
=> S&W 329 – multiple instances (4 or 5) of blast shield/top strap erosion – S&W replaced shields (each time) and frames (as required).
=> S&W 329 - carry up fixed several times.

Smith & Wesson fixed all problems listed above under warranty and picked up shipping both ways.

The overwhelming majority (99+%) of loads shot thru the 3 guns were 240 to 260 gr bullets at 1,150 to 1,200 fps (Remington factory 240s chronoed 1,240 fps).

My thoughts:

The blast shield/top strap erosion and carry up problems are long term exposure type issues.

The firing pin problem was/is related to design/fabrication dimensions/specs.

The “self destruct” event was an assembly issue (according to customer service, the barrel was over torqued when installed) and probably an outlier event.

The lock issue is, well, “the lock” issue – scandium/titanium lightweight, high recoiling handguns seem more prone to involuntary engagement.

Also, the materials used in these guns probably contributes to some of these problems.

A couple of things to keep in mind with the 329s before you bet your life on one.

There have been a number of complaints, on various forums, about misfires due to weak firing pin hits. IIRC it has something to due with short pins installed to pass some Calif. safety test (don't hold me to that).

The lock has a tendency to self engage with heavy loads (mine have been disabled).

Loads need to be tested to make sure they don't suffer from "crimp jump" this can tie up the gun.

Most 329 owners will never shoot them enough with Mag level loads to encounter most of the problems listed above.

FWIW,

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 07/19/16.