Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Gibby
I was talking about the mainspring. He is just starting. Many tend to go heavier. 24 lbs. or more. I think that is a big mistake myself.

I disagree, at least for heavy loads like 10mm and 45 Super. A heavier mainspring is the best way to delay slide unlocking without putting all that energy back into the return stroke, as a heavy recoil spring does. In my experience, (still talking about heavy loads) a 1911 set up with a heavy mainspring and mild recoil spring shoots smoother and stays tight longer than one with a standard mainspring and heavy recoil spring.

Flat bottom firing pin stops are a given, of course.
Install a better hammer if it's a problem; that's a lot easier to fix than battered lugs from lots of rounds with a heavy recoil spring.

If your experience is mostly with standard power 45 ACP, then your comment makes sense and I'd agree, but the Super and 10mm need a different approach.

I think we are saying the same thing. At least I was trying to.

I shy away from heavy recoil springs.

My Delta is set up with SBFPS and 22lb mainspring using 22lb. recoil spring (stock is 23 lb.). It kicks the cases out about 4 feet.

My .460 Rowland Gold Cup caries a 20lb recoil spring. Same result. That is what a well designed ported match barrel fitted properly will do.

Additional bonus. Controlled rapid fire is a breeze.

That is why I do not like the Super. The setup is hard on the guns. There are better ways to get magnum power out of a 1911 if you want it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.