Another time we were packing meat out and stashed a quarter up on a big rock. When we got back to retrieve it a pine marten had laid claim to it. He was perched right on top of it baring his teeth and wouldn't budge until we pelted him with a few small rocks. Must've thought he'd hit the jackpot. Those things are tenacious, good thing they don't get very big.
It wasn't a backpack hunt but I'd shot a moose. On our last trip in to finish packing it, it was after dark and a pine martin had laid claim to it. He wasn't about to give in easily. It was in 10" of snow and the hide was frozen to the ground. He ran right up to us and grabbed the hide to drag away. Yeah, right. A 5lb martin dragging a 100lb frozen down hide. He tried to backpedal with it and was throwing snow with all 4 but of course he couldn't budge it. When we left, he was sitting on the rib cage shaking a fist at us and yelling "Don't come back you slugs!"
Unfortunately, since it was dark I hadn't taken my camera. I would have got some great pics of his antics.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.