Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Another question. I see some of the recomendations are mud tires ,not M&S. What is the difference?
I run all terrain tires on my 4x4's all year round. Alot of all terrains are M&S rated but don't have the snowflake rating of a true snow/winter tire. A true winter tire with the snowflake will be made of a softer rubber comound that is supposed to offer increased traction on packed snow and ice. They usually have silica added to the rubber which is supposed to offer more grip on ice and usually have holes for studs for the same reason. Truthfully, I've found some all terrains to be better in the snow than some winter tires and a good all terrain like the General Grabber AT2's I have on my Jeep to be superior in deep snow to any winter tire I've ever run. True winter tires, because of the softer rubber compound, also wear much quicker on bare roads than an all terrain, particularly on hot pavement.

Thanks .Knew about the softer rubber

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles