I would be willing to ramrod a postal match if enough guys want to take part. I'm thinking some time in September maybe, to give contestants enough time to dust the cobwebs off of their guns?

I'm proposing it'll be for 50 yards, .22 rimfire. Three classes: 1. Any gun, any sights, off the bench- for group. 2. any gun, any sights, no bench- for score. 3. Non-bolt gun repeater (slide action, autoloader), iron sights, 25 yards offhand - for score.

I'll round up some sample targets and post them for consideration/debate. I won't propose any targets that rival aspirins in size. This is for fun.

Simple course of fire: 5 targets, 5 shots per target, best score/group of the five to be the representative score for that individual. No re-entry, but one may participate in all 3 categories.

Cost: Basically nothing- just cost of targets and mailing them back and forth. A buck or two, or a cold beer- I'm easy to please! You're on your own hook for whatever .22 ammo you wish to use.

Prizes: Are you kidding?! grin Forum bragging rights that will stand for all time should be enough! (Perhaps we can get Savage to kick in some tchotchkies like ball caps or something? Anybody know anybody there whom you could ask?)

Notes:

A) Should we put an age limit on the guns? Or perhaps another category for "modern" Savage rimfires in order to keep an even playing field for the old guns?
B) How best to keep this from becoming an "arms race"? Ie: some guys putting heavy Krieger match barrels on their M1903's in order to blindside us, for example.
C) Posting of pics of all targets fired, or just the winners? (Could get pretty cumbersome if we post pics of all targets.) Guess it depends on the turnout.)
D) Specific time period during which one must shoot his targets and return to me.
E) I'll be happy to be the judge. I have a sharp eye and micrometers.

Let's bat this around for a couple of weeks, until say August 26. At that time I'll codify the rules and take steps to initiate it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty