Originally Posted by hatari
I'm finalizing my next safari, which will be to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia is '18. Was going to do the classic buff and plains game, but you know how these things go. Do I do a cat? Maybe it all closes and I never get back. Cat and/or sable? Actually, I'm not so sure that is a rich sable area.

Of course, the limiting factor for all of us non Rockefellers is the expense. The good news, I already have bagged both. Bad news, I enjoyed it so much I want to do it again. Better news, I'm at the point in my safari career where 16 days in the bush is more important that length of horn or size. Not enough "Africa" left for my liking.

Couple things to consider. The use of artificial light isn't legal in Zambia (in the GMA's)
Also, Sable isn't available in all of the Luangwa Valley. I've hunted extensively in Nyaminga, Chanjuzi and have spent non-hunting time in Chifunda, right next door to Nyaminga. I killed a 44" Sable in the Tondwa concession which is extreme NE Zambia right up near Tanzania.

There are some fabulous Sable area's to be found in other Zambia area's. The Kafue GMA's are the best for big (44"+)

I agree that a Roan would be a really nice adder since I guess you have both a Sable and Leopard previously?

There are other Zambia only animals to consider also, Cookson's Wildebeest, only found in the Luangwa Valley. Be sure to shoot a Puku and if the time and money hold out a trip to Bangweulu Swamp for a Black Lechwe and the Kafue Flats for a Kafue Lechwe, both totally unique to Zambia. Neither are too time consuming and more of a collecting trip than a hunt.

The Luangwa valley's Leopard concentration is remarkable, you should have no trouble killing a Leopard there as long as you're with a good operator in one of the decent area's.

My original reason for responding to you is Sitatunga. If you are going to Zambia and you've killed the Sable and Leopard, I really recommend a Sitatunga. My opinion it is the finest and most unique Spiral Horned Antelope to hunt in the world. Their habitat and nocturnal nature make hunting them a true game of chess mixed with cat and mouse, with a bit of a hippo hunt thrown in.

Whatever you decide best of luck.