Originally Posted by Bugger
Fast fire... Can you shoot as accurately as a 2x scope? Much more accurately than iron sights??

How does it work for you? I have a model64 30-30 with shotty buckhorn sights which I think is about as useless as... (hooters on Hillary)

As accurately as a scope, IME no. More accurately than iron sights, maybe, it depends on your vision; faster than iron sights, very probably yes.

The Fastfire, even in its latest iteration, gives you a somewhat indistinct aiming point. Not all blobby by any means, but it’s a point of light, not a clearly defined reticle. Like any sight, if you match the target to the sight you can do some pretty fine shooting, but in this case that means something like plastering the dot onto the middle of a classic bullseye target or some such. I’ve shot some nice groups at 50 and 100 yards with mine but I would be the first to say I could probably have bettered them with even a 2X scope, but only slightly.

That said, its forte is very fast acquisition, light weight and a wide open field of view. You look through the little window and find the dot, put it on target and fire. With both eyes open your field of view is as unlimited as using open sights but you don’t have to line up the front and rear sight. The dot doesn’t even need to be centered in the window, it can be right at the edge, but the bullet is going to hit whatever the dot is covering so your head position is not critical at all. Obviously it also weighs a lot less than even a 2x scope and on a lever action rifle will let you carry it with your whole hand around the action.

As I said in one of my earlier threads on my Fastfire, if you want to dot the “i” on a Pepsi can at 75 yards every single time you might be better off with a different sight, but if you want to find the can and hit it dead center really quickly the Fastfire is great for that.

To those that say so what, I can do that with peep sights – yes, you can, and so could I. But my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be, those front sights on barrels shorter than 24” are getting a bit fuzzy, but no such problem exists with the Fastfire or similar reflex sight. I still like peep sights on long barreled rifles but on a carbine style and especially a handgun the Fastfire definitely has a place.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!