I don't believe Ohio has a requirement on the shooting proficiency. I've taken the course twice, once the first year it was offered, shortly thereafter I became an over the road trucker and wasn't allowed to have a firearm with me so I didn't renew after it expired.

Circumstances changed, so last year I went through the course again under a different instructor. I found out after I was there, that the laws had changed and I wouldn't have had to retake it. I was already there anyway and looked at it as a refresher from the one 8 years or so prior. Turns out a lot of laws had changed, and I believe I got a much more thorough overview of the legal system. $75 well spent.

The first time was a 12 hours minimum course time, by the second time it had been reduced to 8 hours minimum, both of which had 2 hours of that being the minimum at the range. Both times I was the only one who scored 100% on the paper test.

Both times there were approximately 8 of us total in class. Both times I felt I was the only one that had any idea about what they were doing shooting. Both times there was a mid-60's lady who struggled to even get one hit on a good-sized target at close range (15' maybe?), with at least one or two others that eventually were keeping them on the target, but barely.