Originally Posted by RJM
I had three 629 MGs at one time...two were -2s and the last a -5. I kept the -5 because it matched the 657 and 625/.45 ACP MGs I had. Yours being a -4 still has the forged action parts and firing pin on the hammer. The -5 is still pre-IL but has the MIM parts.

If you polish the barrel you will take the markings right off. Smith in its infinite wisdom went to etching the markings instead of the time tested steel stamp roll marks...probably cheaper to do but any amount of polishing will take them right off.

Over in the completed auction file at GunBroker -4s in the condition your gun is in with no box bring in the $800s...

If you don't reload you may want to try the Speer Gold Dot HP 200 grain .44 Magnum Short Barrel Load...it runs the 200 grain bullet made for their .44 Special loads at 1080 fps from a 4" barrel. The bullet will expand every time and recoil is mild.

Bob

Thanks for the great information! I didn't know which one it was and bought it sight unseen but didn't think I could go wrong for the money. I also have a 629-1 that was my dads. I don't know if I'll keep the "new" 629-4 or give it to a buddy as a gift but either way it's a sweet revolver.

Thanks again!