Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I've been loading for and hunting an '06 off and one since 1960.
H4895 is a great powder for accurate, mild pressure loads. Works in my .280 and my .308's as well as the '06'.
Usually, less than top end loads, milder recoiling loads in the '06 don't shoot very accurately. But, with H4895, they do.
If you insist on top velocity, then I'd recommend either Ramshot Big Game or H4350 with 150 gr. bullets. If you want less recoil, and longer case life, then I'd recommend H4895 or the new IMR 4166.
I've shot everything from the 4198's up to H4831 in my current '06. Bullets from 110's to 220's All them hunting loads or milder practice loads that shoot the same zero(s) as the full power stuff.
I'd suggest you decide what you want from your ammo and then try out some loads. You may well be surprised at what you can do with a little testing. I was. E

See, I'm not all that worried about getting top velocities out of this load. The maximum range I'll be shooting a deer is about 250 yards, and the past 20 or so deer taken with it have all been 150-175 yards. That is not stretching the envelope for '06.

I'm also not all that worried about experimenting with this load. It knocks the snot out of deer. I just couldn't figure out why I picked the combination in the first place. If I was to show up today on 24hourcampfire with my head as full of mush as it was in 2000, I'm sure I'd go H4350 under 150 grain bullets. However, there's probably nothing particularly wrong with what I've got.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer