Originally Posted by David_Walter
Does anyone make a decent replacement stock for the Howa 1500 in 6.5 creed?

Or, should I just rebarrel a rem700?

Or pillar bed a wood stock and paint it?

I bought a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Whittaker's and had it in a couple of different stocks, 'cause I don't like the ergs of the Hogue. I had it in an old style B&C stock that I bought on eBay for $100+/- from a guy in Maryland who appears to have a bunch of them. I like it OK, but don't love it, so I currently have it in a V2 take-off and like it as well as the B&C, maybe even a little better.

I have a 24" barrel V2 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I put in a McM McM Hunter style stock and like it a lot. For me, putting a $450 stock on a $550 rifle made the rifle significantly more user friendly from an ergs point of view. The 22" Howa 1500 and the 24" V2 balance much differently, even though the only difference is 2" of barrel.

GPC has new, old-stock, Smith & Wesson branded deluxe grade walnut 1500 stocks that are, IMO, much nicer than anything coming out of Boyds and for less $$, around $180 shipped. This is GPC part # 584470A/B/C/D. The also have the standard grade walnut stocks for about $30 less. The standard grade stocks have a dull finish, while the deluxe grade stocks has a glossy finish that looks to me like the finish on a Remington 700 BDL.

If you already have a Remington 700 donor with a stock that you like, rebarreling might be the way to go. If you're starting from square 1, it would be hard to argue against buying the $330 Howa 1500 from Whittaker's and "stone soup" it a nickel at a time until you get it the way that you want it.