Originally Posted by SakoAV
Stupid article. The right response for non-law enforcement is to
get the hell outta the building yesterday and to make damned sure that responding cops know you ain't the bad guy lest you wind up room temperature.

Do civilian training courses really teach pursuing bad guys and clearing buildings?

These two have a shtick that they're hustling to soldiers of fortune.

Law enforcement agencies have their methods of clearing buildings. Don't be around when they do. It might not work out for you if they're responding to an active shooter call.

….what in the heck are you relating the above to????? The "Stupid article" says nothing about clearing buildings nor confronting responding police officers? Did you enter this on the wrong thread? It has to do with teaching primarily gripping the handgun….unless I'm the one with attention deficit…..of course, that's a real possibility.

The finest instructor that I personally know is one of Clint Smith's adjunct teachers---he ran a Police Academy for multiple municipalities in a suburban county of Kansas City. I've been fortunate to help him instruct numerous courses over the past years and first started shooting with him when I got out of the Marine Corps almost 40 years ago. He once made the comment that you NEVER want to give a student "options" when teaching them critical or immediate action response drills. When a person has "options," it's like a drop-down menu on a computer that requires contemplation of several choices and then an added decision…..that takes time that is not available in a critical situation. The "stupid article" kind of addresses that point:

"This is especially important for "critical" skills—skills that will be operationally performed under stress—and that therefore must be performed from procedural memory. (The brain cannot access the other memory systems reliably when the sympathetic nervous system is in play)."

I'm not sure that I totally agree with the content of the article, but the concept of how memory processes info is interesting---especially now that my rate of forgetting seems to have exceeded my rate of learning!!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.