Originally Posted by bhemry
I feel sorry for the guys that have to shoot the premium stuff. Some of those slugs are over $5.00 a shot. Heck, that's like buying elephant ammo!

Well, we got lucky here in OH a few years ago when they legalized pistol cartridge rifles. I've only shot my slug gun a few times since, and that was to confirm that it was still on in case I needed a backup. Easier on the shoulder and the wallet!

And from what I've learned over the years about slug guns, if I were starting from scratch, I'd go 20 gauge and buy the Savage stainless bolt gun for much better accuracy and way less recoil. From some of the stuff I've read about them, they're measuring groups at 200 yards!
I grew up in the Youngstown area before moving up here to Minnesota. At the time, rifled slug barrels were still illegal in Ohio, so I had set u an 870 with a smoothbore slug barrel, which necessitated shooting Foster style rifled slugs. Man, was that thing painful to shoot! I wanted more accuracy, so I had the barrel permanently mounted to the frame and the receiver drilled and tapped for a Leupold base and rings. It made the gun quite accurate, but still didn't do anything for the walloping recoil.

When I slug hunt now, it's with a little 20 gauge Mossberg with a cantilevered rifled ported barrel and saboted slugs. What a difference. The rifled barrels shure make a huge difference, and the porting helps immensely. The cantilever mounting system still allows the gun to be switched from upland use to deer hunting without sacrificing accuracy.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla