When I lived in IL, it was shotgun or m/l only. Tried a slug barrel on my Benelli M90 field. The recoil broke my scope mounts-twice. After my gunsmith put the second mount on, I went out and tried to sight the gun in. Over the next 2 1/2 hours, I fired 60 rounds before giving up. I went back to the gun store and bought a Remington 870 Express 12 ga pump with cantilever mount. Sighted it in the same day, the day before the firearm season opener. That SOB kicked so hard it actually loosened my teeth, and I thought I broke my cheekbone. I got a deer a few days later, but really had to talk myself into pulling the trigger. Tihing is, it shot Winchester Super X slugs like a rifle at 100 yds. Then I came to my senses and bought a Savage 220F in camo, and a Savage 10 ML Ii muzzleloader. Sighted them in and never used them again. Moved to a rifle state. Both guns were a joy to shoot after the 870 Express. The 220F is deadly accurate with Remington Accu Tips. The Savage smokeless M/L was also a joy to shoot. No smoke, cleaning only required every 100 rounds, and because it's heavy (it's a stand gun, not a spot and stalk gun), the recoil was very manageable even by me, and I'm only 5'6", and 130#, and old. Do yourself a favor a keep looking for a gun that does not kick like a mule. It's not necessary.