Originally Posted by 1minute
There are tons of jobs like this I'd willing take on if one just had the proper spanner wrenches, screw drivers, and widget graspers that were made just for that job. One can sure bum up some good equipment trying to get by with a redneck approach.

Indeed. Nothing like having the right tools for the job. In my case though, what I had on hand worked admirably: jeweler's screw drivers that I have in my tool chest which come in handy every now and then, fly tying tweezers I've been using for 30+ years, and magnifying goggles which do primary duty for checkering but which get used for more and more projects as my aging eyes devolve further into decrepitude.

Had I undertaken this little project without these three items, I would have quickly seen the folly of it and stopped and acquired said tools which would have driven the cost of it up nearly to what I would have had to pay somebody to do it. Instead, for $10 total outlay and an hour or so of my time, I beat a repair bill of $100 or so.

I sometimes think technical repair guys, gunsmiths, and doctors prey on people's fear of the mystical unknown (well maybe not doctors so much) for a percentage of their business, when in truth many repairs can be undertaken by people with a modicum of common sense and the desire to learn.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/01/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty