I know this forum is oriented toward the latest and greatest optics, but I hope someone here can answer a few questions for me.

I have a weakness for junky old shooters, especially sporterized military rifles. This poor thing came through the gun show this afternoon and it just appealed to me beyond reason. I cannot imagine it having any value at all, but I just couldn't resist it. It is a Model of 1917 with a Weaver 330 M8(?) with a post reticle and Stith mounts. Most of the finish is gone from all metal and the action and wood has been extensively modified. There are no markings on the rifle except a very faint 30-06 on the barrel.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this an M8? You can see 330 on one side of the Stith ring and an 8 on the other, as if the M is covered.

2) Would you think the scope would survive if I fired the rifle extensively? My cell camera did not do justice to the glass or the view down the tube. It is not crystal clear but is definitely usable. I plan to use the thing if for nothing other than a truck gun. I can always remove it and put on a modern scope.

3) If I do remove it, would the scope and Stith mounts have any value to anyone?

Your ideas and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Don't laugh at my new rifle....it has loads of character and I wish it could tell me what it has experienced.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]