I have an early 1960's production Sako L61R Finnbear, Magnum action in .300 H&H Magnum. See the pics below for details of it's present bedding. It shoots fair-to-good with some loads but is quite finicky. This is not the factory stock.

The bottom of the recoil lug sits down hard and tight on a .020" brass shim that sits in the recess ahead of the stock reinforcement bolt. The barrel channel has been relieved enough to free float the barrel. It would be easy to relieve it some more so the brass shim would not be needed. The back, lower edge of the recoil lug bears directly against the stock reinforcement bolt.

I know that on most Mauser type actions, with recoil lug machined as part of the receiver, you should relieve the stock so the underside of the lug doesn't bear against the stock.

Questions I have:

Should the Sako be bedded similarly to a Mauser with clearance under the recoil lug?

Should I glass bed the area around the stock reinforcement bolt so that the entire back surface of the lug is evenly supported?

What other bedding advice can you give me for a vintage Sako?

Below are photos of the rifle.

BTW: I'm hunting elk and mule deer with it next week.

Inside stock showing location of brass shim and stock reinforcement bolt. Note impression of bottom of recoil lug on the shim:
[Linked Image]

Shim closeup:
[Linked Image]

Sako L61R Finnbear Magnum action recoil lug area:
[Linked Image]

Inside forend showing sanded area where barrel channel was relieved:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Skeezix; 09/18/16. Reason: Clarity

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)