And I will add:

If I don't NEED a light, I don't turn it on. BUT if it is very dark and I can't see my hand in front of my face, I'd rather be able to see whomever is making the noise. A light doesn't have to be attached to a gun and holding a light away from you body is advisable. This is why I like a laser. You can keep the gun away from your body, but use the light and laser to reach around a door to light up a hall (the most dangerous place to be). The laser works without lining up sights. But you NEED to see if what/who is making the noise, right? If it's my child or wife, I want to know that. Hard to if you don't have a light.

Never put your booger hook on the bang switch when clearing any structure. Your trigger finger lies along the side of the firearm/trigger guard. Focus on your own actions and don't be in any hurry. Sometimes the noise can be identified within reason by listenening rsather than taking immediate action.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson