Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Wow, you resurrected a 7-year-old thread??

With regards to stainless steel, there are a lot of different types of stainless steel. Barrels are typically made of 416 stainless which is a martensitic stainless and quite easy to machine. Some of the austensitic steels tend to work hard very readily and need heavy cuts with a big machine or they will go rock-hard on you. Fasteners are typically made from 304 ss and it is prone to work hardening.

As far as using a CM barrel, I use them occasionally myself. They are stronger and can be blued if that is the type of rifle you are building. Who wants a SS barrel on a exhibition grade rifle?

I much prefer CM actions over SS too.

I'm no expert on barrel life but I'll bet if you don't ruin it with a cleaning rod, 20-30K out of a 22 rimfire is no problem. Out tactical rifles typically went about 4500 rounds (308) before needed new barrels. I have worn out two 6.5-284 barrels in less than 900 rounds and one in 500 rounds. I think R17 is really hard on barrels.

I like chrome-moly for actions and barrels too and I thought it was because I thought that the action was stronger than the stainless ones. Now with the nitride finishes the world is getting better all the time.

Working with stainless in the shop at work has whooped my can a time or two and I have ruined more drill bits fiddling with that stuff. I suppose if I consulted with the machinists I would could figure it out better.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.