Originally Posted by whelennut
Spotshooter,
Hang around with highpower rifle shooters and you will hear that the .223 shooters expect about 10,000 rds from a barrel.

The .308 Winchester crowd expects 6,000 rds.

I have heard that the .243 Winchester and 7mm Magnums might be around 1500-2000 rds.

I purchased a used barrel from a state champion which had 6,000 rds through it. It got rechambered to a 300 Winchester Magnum
and now is an elk hunting rifle. The owner is very satisfied with it!

The target shooter did not want to go to the National Match at Camp Perry and chance that the barrel would go bad at a national championship. It still shot fine when he took it off at 6,000 rds.
This was a high quality match barrel to begin with (Kreiger)which probably is a big factor?

Never really heard a highpower shooter ever say 10K from a 223. Most I know say 3500 to 5000 max typically.

I babied one though a Krieger once... and won the LA state leg match with it on its last match, at something over 12K rounds and barely shooting MOA and just over....

243 you can get under 1000 rounds depending...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....