Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper. Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition. An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

Why worry about a group, just get a good performance bullet and put the center of your group in the crosshairs and go kill something.

I don't think anyone here suggested using a "hunting" bullet for benchrest competition. I also highly doubt anyone here is going to use one of those fugly rifles that weigh 17 pounds ("light gun") or an unlimited weight "heavy gun", both of which are placed in a machine rest and fired with very little effort from the competitor. Most of these competitors shoot "free recoil", which means they barely touch the damn rifle. The rifles "aim" is also adjusted with the rest. As you know, hunting is a whole other ballgame. Or should I say I hope you know. Give me a 1/2-1 moa. rifle and I'm happy, as it helps in the whole scheme of things. Also, not to be the bearer of bad news, but, a "realistic hunting distance" for you, may not be the same for someone else... wink. This is where you need every 1/2" of accuracy you can get. Although the OP is vague, I think you may be reading into this more than what is necessary. He's just asking for input on whether a certain bullet weight is more accurate than another.

What you know about rifles or shooting you got from a book or heard someone else say. I doubt your experience would fill a matchbook. If you want to continue with your never ending "buddy" stories, go ahead, but leave reality to someone else.

When you accomplish something more than packing a 338 elk hunting and shoot a total of 2 elk in your life and give advice to people about elk hunting, you may want to consider a column in a kid's journal. Until then, keep watching and wondering just what goes on in the real outdoors.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.