Hey guys, I have and AR-10 that I am hoping to use as a dual purpose weapon system- urban tactical and short range hunting. I was thinking of which optic to put on it. I have been shying away from putting a traditional hunting optic on it as that would be not very effective on the go when I can't have a nice steady shot and concentrate on things like eye relief.

So I was thinking about going with a quality red dot instead. Obviously, that would be best for tactical shooting but my question is, how far out can I realistically expect to use something like the Aimpoint pro on medium size game? I have two concerns. First is the obvious topic of magnification. How far out at 1x can I make an accurate shot on game? And secondly, how much of an error is the dot MOA size going to impact how far out I can expect to shoot.

My off the cuff guess is that I should be just fine 0-200 yards and for a good broad side still shot, I can probably reach out to 300 yards. Any thoughts or experience hunting with a red dot?

Thanks,
Rob

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE