I think we all should know by now that there are many other factors that affect recoil besides bullet weight: MV, amount of powder used, rifle weight, stock fit and shape. Also, as to "felt recoil", it is mostly an individual thing. And size and weight of an individual is only a fraction of it because amount of experience and mind set is difficult to measure.

I'm within a couple of months of age 81 and have experienced recoil equivalent in numbers to a .458 Lott frequently from the age of 60 to the present. Shape and fit of stock, weight of rifle and mindset are the most important factors involved in "felt recoil". However, .458-cal. being my favorite among many others for big game, you can cleanly kill anything in North America with a 350gr .458 of the right construction and within an effective range, to somewhere around 400 yds depending on MV and nose shape.

I have a significant number of the Barnes' 350 TSX's that from experience tells me they should be reserved for larger-tougher game. But the 350gr Speer is a very good one when pushed to around 2500 and at a range that doesn't drop velocity below about 1800 fps. However, any well constructed .458 with a flat tip will work well much below that. So, I also have used a 465gr semi-hardcast lead bullet at 1900 fps that has worked very well. That from a single-shot .45-70.

Enjoy your new .458. They are a lot of fun and a great hunting caliber.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus