Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I dont buy into the live animal thing or field conditions thing. You are either practiced/capable of the shot or you are not. Heartbeats don't direct bullets.....

I get it. We don't need to take anything into consideration on 500 yard shots at unwounded BG animals.They are as mundane and routine as 200 yard shots I suppose.

In my opinion long range starts at 600 yards. Distance doesn't nessecarily define difficulty of the shot. I remember I was unable to hold still enough to keep a 6X6 bull elk in my scope because I was so winded. I took an antelope with one shot at 777 yards with no problem.
What ever distance one chooses to define long range is only one aspect of the equation n

True. The distance isn't the only factor but some folks don't understand the,especially those who have never done it. There are a lots of other factors involved in taking or passing a 541 yard shot.

Is it 'long range"? Of course it is.

Human error at 540 yards is greater than at 240, a lot more to consider in terms of wind drift (which may be different in velocity and direction, than it is at 240), position and location of animal, time of day, likelihood of immediate recovery, distance of animal from screening cover and the opportunity for follow up shots if required...lots of variables, and if they don't take these things into consideration, dealing ONLY with the "distance is distance" mentality, Im sorry.....

They don't have a clue what they are doing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.