Up until about 1965 or so, .22 rimfires and shotguns were the only legal firearms for deer hunting in the southern part of Michigan's Lower peninsula. As I recall, about a quarter of the deer hunters in that area used .22 rifles for their deer hunting.

The .22 Magnum was a very coveted item at that time, and a hunter who carried one was considered very well armed.

I spent 25 years as a conservation officer in MI and investigated hundreds of illegally killed deer. A large percentage of them were killed with .22 rimfire rifles and most of those deer were killed with body shots.

I was always impressed with just how well the .22 performed on deer. The .22 Magnum with the right ammo (40 or 50 grain) would work better than many think as a deer rifle.

I would expect a deer shot broadside behind the shoulder with a .22 Magnum to run from 40 to 80 yards and pile up, without leaving a blood trail.

If a quiet rifle is needed for a few hunts in that special area and a .22 Magnum is legal, and the shooter is competent, personally I would feel quite comfortable with the idea of using one.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 10/12/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...