Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Up until about 1965 or so, .22 rimfires and shotguns were the only legal firearms for deer hunting in the southern part of Michigan's Lower peninsula. As I recall, about a quarter of the deer hunters in that area used .22 rifles for their deer hunting.

The .22 Magnum was a very coveted item at that time, and a hunter who carried one was considered very well armed.

I spent 25 years as a conservation officer in MI and investigated hundreds of illegally killed deer. A large percentage of them were killed with .22 rimfire rifles and most of those deer were killed with body shots.

I was always impressed with just how well the .22 performed on deer. The .22 Magnum with the right ammo (40 or 50 grain) would work better than many think as a deer rifle.

I would expect a deer shot broadside behind the shoulder with a .22 Magnum to run from 40 to 80 yards and pile up, without leaving a blood trail.

If a quiet rifle is needed for a few hunts in that special area and a .22 Magnum is legal, and the shooter is competent, personally I would feel quite comfortable with the idea of using one.

Good stuff. Thanks.