Headed from WY down to NM this year for elk with the kids for something different. There's no age limit in NM so my 10 year old son got to get his own license. They were quite excited tot say the least...

Oct 15 was opening morning and we were up early and on the move. Luckily one of my good friends from CO joined us on the hunt and got us headed the right direction. We walked out about a mile and set up on an area where elk often pass through. The sun finally came up but we saw no signs of any elk. Just when we decided to make a new plan a herd of 30 or so elk rolled in on us. We got the kids dialed in and waited for them to get closer. At 450 yards they were given the go ahead and both kids connected with their first elk.

I must say I've never seen them happier. It's been an awesome trip and we can't wait to come back...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My buddy from CO and I went out in the dark again yesterday morning and ambushed a smaller herd that was out grazing. I connected with an old broken warrior at 500 yards and he killed a nice bull at 450...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My sons bull was very unique...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...