Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The problem isn't picking a rifle or that a 30-06 kicks too much. The problem is the lady does not know how to shoot. Get someone who knows how to teach her.

Plenty of women shoot Cape Buffalo. The minimum legal caliber is .375 H&H in most places where you find them.

Because I have zero African experience and can only go on Alaskan stuff and the thoughts of friends that have done the African thing I am not sure how to take the Legend of the Cape Buffalo...

I have seen Kodiak bears take ridiculous poundings and keep going... and die like a light switch was flipped with a single modest bullet through the shoulders...

But I do know a lot about rifle stock geometry. A modestly weighted 375H&H is a pussycat compared to a light 338WM. The H&H will shove while the 338 will twist, kick, thrash, and pulverize.

A proper 30-06 with a properly-fitted stock is ideal, IMO&E... and training by someone that really understands the issues is important... short of that a more modest rifle will absolutely kill a huge bear reliably, but simply requires a better back-up.

Training with modest loads in the exact rifle to be used is important... the only shell game is the full loads at the Day of Reckoning.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.