I wouldn't use best in the same sentence as $1,700 in today's dollars. Strictly good enough of which there are many

Agreed it will buy quite a nice rifle along the Sako, Nosler or a custom to the extent of choosing an action, barrel and aftermarket stock for assembly. $2,500 would open a world more of choices including a nicer Nosler a really nice Weatherby or what have you.

Strictly as an academic exercise today I've been pleased in the long ago past with buying a nicer Remington or CDNN style Winchester Supergrade type and paying a willing gunsmith to check it out, blue print lightly, making sure the barrel and receiver are in line, the bolt is squared up the trigger is good and the scope mounts are square and centered. Take the existing stock if wood and slim it down while adjusting fit within limits. Time was there was a pretty good business in slimming the factory stocks especially on tang safety Rugers and on Sako's which responded well to a little wood removal.

Mr. Barsness and others have written a good deal on the value of proper fit. I haven't seen any ads for doing automotive body work to fit a hand laid composite stock but if there are such businesses that would be well worth it.

This amounts to taking a Remington 700 BDL and making it a CDL such as the factory used to tout along with their 40X and all the rest of it.

Maybe in today's world of CAD/CAM and Glock style center insert triggers that sort of additional handwork is passe.