I have two .270s. A prewar M70 wears a Leupold 3.5-10, mainly because I need the length between the bells. The other wears a 2.5-8 Leupold because it was what I had. Both go to work with the power set at about five. Therefore, I suppose I could easily adapt to a 6X.

Most of my hunting these days is in west Texas where you can usually see a long ways, but some of our pastures can get thick, especially in the bottoms. Some of it is in farm country with the deer in peanut fields, or browsing along the edges of waterways where there are still trees and brush.

Before old age began to creep upon me, I hunted the Trans-Pecos desert. The only time that a 4X was not good enough was early one morning I shot at a good buck on a hillside and failed to see the smaller buck standing in front of and just below the larger one. I hit the smaller one in the head. The big guy ran off. A few more Xs might have given me better resolution in the dim light. One mule deer buck was the limit.

Last edited by jt402; 10/20/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero