Perhaps I can help a bit. I have the Eastman book on Brownings. He advises that the original barrel length was 24" and that Safari grades could be ordered without sights. On the Safari grade, the grip cap is likely an aftermarket add on.

Yours appears to have the long Mauser extractor. Later ones had a set up similar to Sako.

I have two of the small ring Mauser Safaris in ..243 and .308. I have had these rifles in all three grades: Safari, Medallion, and Olympian. My Olympian took twenty years, but it turned out to be a salt wood gun. One thing is for sure. Browning liked to sell stuff and therefore one never says never about those rifles. The reason that I say aftermarket for the grip cap is that it appears flat. The factory guns all had a radius on the bottom of the grip - all grades.

The ..338 with a long extractor is a desireable piece. I never had one. I did have a .300 and .375, both H&H. Most of mine went to pay for college for three daughters, a good investment.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero