Originally Posted by Pappy348
You've got a beautiful rifle there. Stop nitpicking it and enjoy your good fortune.

I agree that it's beautiful. I like it so much that I want to know more about it, especially the forend screw. That's because it shoots groups like this

[Linked Image]

at 100 yards with a cold barrel, but throws them all over the paper when it heats up, which happens after the fourth shot. Same thing happens if I use a shooting sling. Once the barrel cools down, it goes right back to stacking bullets on top of each other.

I've read a lot about bedding methods over the years. I'm pretty sure that this is a bedding issue, and that forend screw tension plays a major role in it. Barrel-mounted recoil lugs aren't as common as they were 30-50 years ago when this rifle was built, so I'm looking for people who have experience with them and who can help me tweak it to shoot its best no matter what temperature the barrel is--if groups open up like this when it's warm, then it won't be the best choice for Africa.

I'm 55 years old, and I figure I've got 10, maybe 15 years left to hunt. These will be my last 15 years hunting big game and I want to use this rifle for that time, so I'd like to learn more about it. If you can help me with that, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.