I've fired plenty of hod carriers through my job, but once, I got to fire someone who didn't even work for me. Several years ago when I was in college, I came home for summer break from Laramie, and was celebrating in my favorite hometown bar.

So I was sitting there with a couple of guys I knew discussing the new to me cute cowgirl bartender. My friends were explaining to me what a stuck up b#*%@ she was while she stood over with two other cowgirl friends ignoring us for the most part. Pretty soon two cute biker girls came in and sat at the bar--the bartender ignored them, for a long time. There were only the seven customers in the three groups I've mentioned in there at the time. I did see her lip curl when she looked over at them, but she just turned her back on them and stuck with her friends. So, I spoke up, I said, "I would like to buy these two ladies who have been so patiently waiting a drink". She brought their drinks to them slammed 'em on the bar without a word and came to me with a snotty attitude and snapped "six bucks" or whatever that run back then.

She didn't know me, or that I was in there because one of my best friends, Lee, owned the place, or that I had worked there off and on for years. I told her to call Lee and tell him that Brad just fired her, and to give me the phone (no cells yet) when she was done. He didn't even know the why I told her that yet, but when she handed me the phone, she handed me the keys as well, and walked out the door. I put the phone to my ear and Lee told me he had wanted her gone for a while, but couldn't find a replacement till he heard that I was home and had already fired her for him.

"Replacement", I said,"I already got a job for the summer". "Yea but that's in the day, I want you here at night, besides you fired my help, you owe me". "Well I guess, but I want a two dollar raise and for you to start looking for my replacement," I told him. "You get one dollar, and you're here till fall classes start," he says. I'm really startin' to wish I hadn't fired that chick, but then I noticed the two biker girls were empty and needed my attention, so there I was for another summer laugh

[Linked Image]