Ed was a pretty successful businessman and had probably picked them up somewhere and tucked them away for a few years.

Of course this was in about 1982 or 1983 as well. I think I made about $6,000 or $7,000 a summer the first couple of years I worked up there and I remember stuffing those into my wallet before jumping on the old Wien 737 that first week of September, mid 30's outside and spitting snow. Took the "red eye" home from ANC to SLC, flirting with the Western Airlines stewardesses in the back of the plane, arriving to 90+ degree weather in Salt Lake in the morning... too hot! Life was good and simple back then.

Ed knew what he was doing when he gave me those bills. He was pretty savvy and was trying to impress me and reward me at the same time. I had wanted to work at the "fish lot" buying fish from the commercial fisherman but he insisted that I stay at the "store" working in the back. I wasn't happy... he knew I wanted to be out where the "action" was (or at least I thought that's where it was at!) I just wish he'd told me how special those bills were. I do remember him telling me to be careful with them... maybe he was referencing the stewardesses mentioned earlier!