Hey Guys,

A couple of questions about BLO to any custom stock makers out there. Keep in mind I'm talking BLO...not true oil...not BLO finish...BLO. Ive been using this for years as a maintenance measure on all of my oil finished stocks as this was how I was taught as a boy. On many of my poly finished guns (Wingmaster, A5, 1100) I've refinished the stocks completely with BLO by simply stripping the old finish, steaming any dings, raising grain, sanding with a block, burnishing with a scotch bright and hand rubbing BLO. Checkering gets BLO thinned and applied with a paint brush to avoid gumming etc.

I was taught to hand rub in very thin coats of oil once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year forever. Guns that came with an oil finish get a once a year rub down. I don't rub the checkering. This has made for some very nice finishes needless to say.

As for the questions...

BLO seems to have lost favor in the mainstream...why is this...to much work? Its so easy to repair scratches etc...a real shame

People claim its no good in rain...i use all my guns hard and have never had any issues with moisture...either soaking into the wood or changing POI etc...what gives?

Should I be using something else?

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"