Originally Posted by Bugger
Having not shot my new 416 Rigby at game, I have a couple of questions:

1. 350 grain Barnes TSX - At what velocity do these bullets perform best?

2. My rifle is a Ruger Magnum, LNIB, it seems to me that this cartridge and rifle combination could be loaded to near 416 Weatherby velocity. I'm sure this comment will cause a lot of negative comments and there's little use in asking for none. But what are your top loads with the Rigby?

3. I have quite a few 400 grain solids and 350 grain Barnes. I plan on using hard cast bullets loaded to approximate 2,000 fps for white tail. I think 5744 might be a good powder for such, anyone have favorite loads for these?

4. Any other suggested bullets/loads?

Thanks in advance.

1. They appear to perform best when you shoot accurately. (Mine likes 2500 fps with H4831 SC.)
2. I don't do "top loads".
3. My 350ish cast loads use IMR 4198. 5744 is less accurate; however, I got delayed ignition in warm weather with 4198 and not with 5744.
4. Put ~ 90 grains IMR 4831 behind 400-grain solid or ~ 100 grains H4831 behind a 410-grain Woodleigh. Crimp at a cannelure or driving band with a full load to keep recoil moving the bullet around. That said, crimping can buckle the shoulder of VERY expensive brass. And, long bearing surfaces of SWIFT's, RHINO's, etc. may preclude the need to crimp.

Last edited by agazain; 10/24/16.