Originally Posted by HawkI
The only problem is dies; older dies for the 45 Colt and 45 ACP work well in that they usually arent carbide and have larger expanders. Plus the seater dies accept the larger bullets. Many off the shelf dies today wont allow really large stuff to work well or without issues. Ditching the carbide sizer, RCBS Cowboy dies are a godsend for those who need the ability to make the 25-5 or 45 Colt Anaconda sing with their large throats.

I ran into that die issue recently with some RCBS 454 Casull dies. I've had them for years, but mostly loaded jacketed bullets back when I first had a 454, and used Dillon dies once I got into casting (no issues with lead bullets in the Dillon stuff BTW, A+ for them).

Anyway, tried to load some 460 S&W with the Lee 300gr WFN bullet in the RCBS dies - the expander is fine but the seater is so tight it pinches the case against the bullet and shaves lead. That surprised me for a bullet only .453" diameter. I swapped to an old Lee 45 Colt seater I had laying around, no more issues.

Last edited by Yondering; 11/01/16.