Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by rost495
Blackheart my man. I have not looked at this thread in a long time.

How close have you killed deer? Vs how far have I?

FWIW, I do it my way you do it yours. And I can tell you that while you probably have killed deer closer than mine, I will mention that I have over 100 big game kills by archery gear, only one over 25 yards, only two at 25ish yards. The rest are at or under my self imposed limit of 16 steps. The closest are a deer at 3 steps. A pig at 3 steps. Most bow kills have been under 10 steps.

As to our long range stuff, only have to say that I have a couple or maybe more, awards that might indicate its not all hot air as you indicate. Not that it matters or that I care.

I have yet to harvest past 802. I have yet to get a kill with a spear. But both are still on the list. As well as stone heads for the bow if my injury ever allows me back to my recurve...

It flat doesn't take much to kill a deer here cartridge wise. a 22lr would do the trick on most deer.

yet, the be ready part of me says you are always ready for the long shot. I have view from where I hunt, of up close, all the way out past 600 yards of wide open ridges, where if a rutting buck showed, you could never get around closer and find the buck back unless they bed... whcih they have done and we have stalked before up close.

30-30 wise I own 3... one a handgun. I've taken more than a few with them. And even though I've never taken one with the x39 with my own gun I have used my nephews a few times.
Had a large nilgai once with the 30-30 contender handgun too... when I was young and dumb enough to think record books were cool, it was #5....for a time.

Simply to think that TX is full of thickets or totally wide open shows not much knowledge of this state at all. Or to think that TX has so many deer any fool could kill them on demand... some areas yes, some its pretty tough, mixed in with public land etc... other hunters, permits required and so on.

I suspect before talking about someone we should all learn who they really are. BTW there was a time frame where I never used a gun, probably close to 15 years, and never shot less than 4 deer..... hmmm....
Well Rost I have more than a few awards earned on the firing line in NRA registered 4 position smallbore competition myself. I won't bore you with all the details but I have been to the state championships more than once and placed in the top 3 each time. One year I even took high individual. Beyond that, I have competed in the Empire State games, the Northeastern states championship and been invited to the olympic tryouts. My offhand averge was the highest in the league and my kneeling average the second highest. I hold every NRA smallbore marksmanship award there is, up to and including distinguished expert. I have killed deer with rifle, shotgun, handgun, bow, muzzleloader and motor vehicle, including several with each of the .22 LR, .22 mag and 5mm Remington rimfire mag. on agricultural damage control peermits.

This part of the pissing contest ought to get interesting...

LOL nope, I"m clearly outgunned. We'll leave it at that. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....