Originally Posted by Sixpack
What would be the pros/cons of either an encore over a contender or vice versa? I know the contender will shoot both rim fire and center fire cartridges and I think it is only available in lower pressure rounds. Guess I'm just looking for likes and dislikes for either or both.

I have the original Contender the out the box trigger of which is much better than the Encore. I also bought it at the time when Fox Ridge Outfitters (Thompson/Center's custom shop) was still in business so got one of their very nice walnut thumbhole stocks for it. I don't like the composite stocks that are available for the Contenders but am happy with the ones for the Encore.

If all you want to shoot are smaller head size cartridges like the 223 Remington, 204 Ruger and rimfire cartridges, the Contender would probably be the best choice. If you wish to shoot more potent cartridges, the Encore would be the best choice. Also, I fail to see why a pound or two extra weight in an Encore should eliminate it from the running but each to his own.

I'm not sure why Thompson/Center put that stupid little divot on the front of the Pro Hunter forends; it makes the use of a bipod problematic. I also think the 28 inch Pro Hunter barrels are a bit of overkill (though I have one very accurate one). The barrels I like the best for the Encore are the 24 inch tapered ones.

Encores and from what I understand, G2 Contenders, benefit a lot from a trigger job. Don't believe all the hoopla about headspace problem; I've had probably 2 or 3 dozen barrels with no headspace problems.

Also, if you ever want to use the gun as a shotgun or muzzle loader, go with the Encore. If you intend to use either the Encore or Contender as a pistol, it's important to buy it and assemble it first as a pistol.