Originally Posted by EdM
They are great little rifle. Mine shoots both the 250 gr Partition and 270 gr GD over 4227 very well. I bedded the stock to the recoil block and added a proper lock washer to the through bolt as mine came unknowingly loose cracking the stock.

I bought one when I was home on leave from the Navy in 1968. My (now) wife's grandfather had one. He took me hunting as a kid and gave me my first job as a teenager. I idolized the man and always wanted one of those .44 carbines.

I never got to hunt with it until after I returned from SEA in the early seventies. I killed some deer with it, but never got the accuracy I thought I should have with it. At some point I read a how-to article in Rifle magazine (back when it was a serious shooter/tinker/amateur gunsmith magazine) on bedding the carbine for better accuracy. I did as illustrated, Acraglassed the recoil block to the stock and the gas block up at the end of the fore end. It'll hold well under 2" now. I shoot the same load I use in all my .44 mags: 23.3 grains of H-110 under a 240 grain XTP-HP.

I killed my biggest deer and my nicest rack with it. One was a 216 pound 9 point (at 200 yards) and the other a beautiful, long tine, calendar picture perfect 10 point (at closer to 20 yards.)

It is a fast handling gun that (for me) always come upon target.

Like any gas gun, they have to be kept clean.

Mathew 22: 37-39