My LGS is a friendly and quite helpful bunch. Heck, they even put up with my cracker friends, Mannlicher included. grin

So, to show my appreciation of their tolerance and excellent service, I decided to make them a nice lunch the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I had some time off, so seemed like the right thing to do.

Found a nice Appleton's fully cooked smoked ham butt portion at Aldi's on sale for $.89/lb. 7.7 lbs, $6.82.. done.

Started out looking like this before it went in the smoker.

[Linked Image]

Smoked for 4.5 hours at about 210 in my Masterbuilt electric smoker using a glaze of brown sugar, honey, mango nectar, mustard, chili powder, tsp of allspice (caught this tip in a blurb on smokingmeatforum), and fresh ground black pepper over the top.

Ham came out looking like this. Did a tray of baked beans under the ham that received several ladles of the ham drippings.

[Linked Image]

Deboned and trimmed out.

[Linked Image]

Dropped the ham, baked beans, large container of homemade tater salad, rolls, glaze with the fat skimmed off, and apple pie off about 1:30 pm on Tuesday. Smiles all around. And yes, tater salad had bacon in it. smile

Deleted from inventory during trimming. grin
Had been saving for what, I don't know.

[Linked Image]

Made the split pea soup yesterday, starting with boiling the leftover bone while I watched the Dolphins put the smackdown on Kaepernick and company.

May be my best effort yet.

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH