Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If I ever get around to ordering an 1877, think I may just go for a .38-55 or a .40-65. Seems like the lighter rifle compliments the lesser cartridges.

Don't have any '77 experience Tex, but, were I on the lookout for another 40-65, it would be for none other than an excellent 1886...................can you spell SWEET? grin

Yeah, always have liked the 1886's/M71's But nice ones have always been more than I wanted to spend. How hard to disassemble are the 1886 actions - as far as making sure they are free of BP residue?

Tex, I bought a 1892 year model '86 Winchester in 45-70, it has the blackpowder chamber, leade and twist, I couldn't detect any blackpowder residue in it's workings, never had cause or the talent to dissassemble the action.

That being said, 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greasers at 1237 fps are loaded to such pressure that the brass is only a bit dirty at the case mouth, I have no reason to believe, or haven't even seen any appreciable amount of fouling in the chamber, much less blowing back and down into the action workings.

Trump Won!