I have a 6.4 and I keep putting off the egr-def delete kit because it seems like there is always something more important to spend money on than my truck.

But I want it bad.

I don't post on the campfire much anymore because I'm too g-damn busy to sit down at a computer and posting from my mobile is clumsy at best.

But I've got a little time this morning so I thought I'd catch up here in the truck section and browse the loony bin upstairs.

Don, I'm a firm believer in the deletes, even though I've not been able to do it yet to mine. Recently I had a serp belt thrown from a bad tensioner, the belt threw off backwards towards the engine and it band sawed a slot in a coolant tube crazy.
To fix the coolant tube I had to pull the intake elbow off. This is the charged air intake elbow, it also has a small side inlet for exhaust gas recirc. This is what the inside of the intake looks like from that exhaust recirc dumping in and being blended with the charged air on it's way into the intake.

[Linked Image]

lookatthisshit!

[Linked Image]

Here's what's next, that crap coats the top of your pistons and combustion chamber. Then your DEF calls for regen. You know how they clean it in an 08 right? They flood cylinders with unburnable amounts of fuel so it gets pumped into the DEF where it ignites and burns. Our 08's get the pistons washed on DEF cycles. Some of that fuel ends up down in the crank case.

You won't see a stock 08 6.4 that "uses oil". The oil level doesn't drop, it rises. Your expensive CJ4 rated oil is being diluted with diesel fuel in the crank case. And not clean diesel, it's black soot diesel.

That's why the engine oil on these things is always BLACK.

I don't care about boosting power, I just want these engine killing devices removed from my 6.4, I've found some kits in the $500-$700 range that advertise the very minimum power gains.

The soot and the diesel contamination in the engine oil are 2 big reasons, another huge reason is exhaust gas temps. When you delete the DEF your EGT's go down considerably which is really nice for the life of your turbos and other stuff. Plus you won't be super cooking your coolant with EGR coolers, it's all good, all the way around.

Something clever here.