I had a Leupold RX 1000iTBR. It would range trees out to just under a thousand yards regularly. I thought it was great, but when I heard the Sig could go twice that, I wanted one.

Then I read the bad reviews and decided to hold off. But then Cabelas had them for $350. And I had a $45 off coupon for a purchase over 300, plus I had points. So I decided to try it.

I sold my Leupold here in the classifieds two days ago. I stopped by Cabelas and got the Sig. On the way home at dusk I stopped to try it. Even at dusk when it should be working well, I wasn't impressed at all. I ran out of light and went home after a few minutes.

Yesterday I went across the street and tried it out again. It was sunny out. I stopped to range some black angus. I know the feeder is 506 yards from where I parked.(Ranged it with the Leupold before.) The Sig would get a range maybe once out of ten. It did get a hereford (red and white) every time. So I thought maybe it doesn't like the black cows, but since I might range bears or moose, that doesn't make me happy.

I did get some cottonwoods at 1164, but it wouldn't do any pines over 800. I got a house at 1700 once out of about ten tries.

I was in the car, so the laser wasn't cold. I'll order a new batter, but the laser says this batter is good.

I'll give it one more try, but this will in no way range an outhouse at over 2K like in the picture above. Right now I'm really let down. I'll give it one more try, then take it back to Cabelas and swithc it for another if they have any left.

And yes, I'm bracing my arms and holding still. Not ranging a huge black cow at 500 yards is really bad performance.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221