Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Oakster
in .30-06. I think it is the carbine model. The metal is in pretty good shape and the wood is decent, actually very good for the age. I inquired about the function of the gun, knowing they are prone to jamming and cycling issues when dirty. The seller told me that the magazine was worn out, that it didnt lift the next round up enough to be picked up and cycled.

Not sure if that is a real thing? Is it more likely that the gun is just dirty and not cycling or should I try and find a different magazine and give it a run? I have not fired this gun yet.

Before you do ANYTHING, close the action and, with the help of a small light source, check the bolt guide rails behind the bolt on the receiver.. If you notice a series of about 6 square indentations on those rails, you should immediately do NOTHING but re-sell that rifle and move on.

The 742s have so many problems that the vast majority of gunsmiths won't even touch 'em. I quit servicing those rifles about 4 years ago - followed this year by the Winchester M100..

The magazines for the 740-742 et al are absolutely horrible. Buying a new one does NOT ensure it'll work. Usually about 1 in 4 magazines for those rifles will work correctly.. And at $30 a pop it's just not worth it..

FWIW..

Lee,

What causes the guide rail indentations? Pleas elaborate.

Doc