Originally Posted by skeen
Oakster, congrats on the rifle. I've had a Remington 742 carbine in 30-06 for over 30 years (and it was used then). It's taken dozens of deer across 4 different states.
It's been dropped down an Ozark mountain, dropped in an Oklahoma creek and fell off the tailgate of a truck in Michigan breaking the fore-end- easily fixed with duct tape.
It has never, not once, failed to fire, jammed, experienced a mis-feed or a failure to eject.
The bluing is worn off in many places, the stock is chipped up, and the fore-end held together with duct tape, but, it just keeps on going.
It's an old war-horse, built like a tank.
I've had, and currently have, a couple dozen rifles, but the 742 is the only rifle in my collection that will never be sold.
I was told back in the 80's to only use Remington ammo in it, and so, I've never used anything in it but Remington Core-Lokts.
Again, congrats on your purchase and may your rifle experience many hunting memories as mine has.

Call Remington asap.. They might wanna get that one back so they can figger out WTH went wrong...

Sorta like the 50 mpg carb that was rumored to be mistakenly put on a new car back in the '70s... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!