This wasn't really a "long range" kill by long range standards, but I know there are a number of folks here interested in the cartridge so I thought I'd report.

I had a cow elk tag and was undecided if I would try to fill it or not, but after deciding to turn the steaks from the bull I killed into jerky for a friend in the military that is about to need some snacks, I figured the extra elk meat would not hurt.

Fairly low drama stalk got me to 455 on a group of 12ish elk. The first round entered right behind the shoulder, and she humped up slightly and started walking up hill, so I fired again and she dropped. Upon inspection it looks like both rounds entered nearly the same hole and both exited. Zero meat loss due to bullet(s) location, large internal damage and bleeding. I'm a fan of both the bullet and cartridge. I am using RL-17 and 140 VLDs, starting at around 2700fps.

I have heard of a few folks having concerns and/or issues with small rifle primers in the cold, and also with RL-17 in cold/changing temps. The weather was coldish and clear, around 15*-20*, so likely not frigid enough to be a real test of either component in the cold. I'll keep testing them in cooler conditions and see what pans out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner